Mar 6, 2008

7 months old!

I just wanted to share some of Cole's pictures from his 7 month birthday! Even after all the scares we have been through we never regret having our precious boy! He lights up our day! I don't think you know what love is until you have a child. Don't get me wrong...I LOVE my husband, but it is a totally different kind of love with your child. I just can't get enough of that kid! I probably kiss him like 1,000 times a day (no joke). My life has changed so much since having Cole. I have someone that counts on me every single day. I still think about the days of being pregnant. It was a time filled with so much joy and so much sorrow. I think the not knowing was the hardest. I hear about stories from other parents that they were told their child had a lethal form of skeletal dysplasia or they were told what kind they thought they had. I was never told one way or another. It was always told to us as "there is a possibility of some type of skeletal dysplasia." What would I have done if I was told it was lethal? I don't know. These parents that I know that were given the lethal diagnosis...Well, their children were born healthy and happy and beautiful!! Yes, they were since diagnosed with Achondroplasia (just like Cole), but the doctors were wrong...it wasn't lethal! I still have my moments where I wish Cole didn't have achondroplasia. Who wants their child growing up with more obstacles than others, but I do know one thing.... I would have never met the wonderful people that I have met through Cole's condition. It has brought me into a whole new world. My wish is that Cole will have life long friends, not only AH (average height) friends, but LP (little people) friends. My other wish is that the world will accept Cole for exactly who he is and not what he looks like. My child does not have a label on him. He is not a dwarf. He is a boy who has a condition called Achondroplasia, which is a form of dwarfism. I hate labels! Cole is a beautiful, happy baby boy...nothing more and nothing less. OK..now that I'm all emotional (lol) I will post some new pictures of my boy! Enjoy!


P.S. Welcome to the wonderful world of blogs Preston and Kim!!


8 sweet comments:

Kim said...

Yay Cole! 7 months old already! WOW! Katie, I loved this entry. You are so real in your posts and I love that. I loved your sentences about labels! I agree 100%! (I describe Preston the same way-thanks for the plug about my blog-it's so much fun)!
I would kiss Cole's cute face 1,000 times a day too!
Love, Kim

Lisa said...

Katie, I love the way you described Cole. I'm the same EXACT way about labels. I hate them as well. If people ask, I say the same thing - that it's a form of dwarfism. I know many little people say they have no problem being called dwarfs, but I'd rather use a descriptive word rather than a label.

Amanda said...

Here, Here! Well said, Katie! You made me tear up becasue I know what you mean about the motherhood kind of love and all the good things you want for your child. You are not alone on that one! I think your son is so freakin adorable just the way he is, achondroplasia or no achondroplasia, and I think most all people will see the same sweet, happy boy I see when I look at pictures of Cole, or when I met him for the first time. There might be some mean people in this world, but the type of person you are does not surround themselves with that kind of negativity. So that makes the ignorant few and far between for you and for Cole as well. And besides, who cares what the ignorant think!You are a good Mama to that lil boy and he will grow up happy just knowing that his whole life through! Kudos to you, Mama Katie! Hugs to Cole from Allie!

Jennifer said...

100% cute is right! He's a keeper for sure Katie. Thank goodness for Cole. Imagine how empty your life would be without him. We can't predict what life will have in store for any of our children be they AH, LP or anything in between. Mean spirited people will target anyone for any reason. Our boys will grow up with loads of love, loads of support and loads of friends to see them through. Mostly, they have parents who are absolutely crazy about them! (Grandparents too!!!)

The Hernandez Family said...

Happy 7th Month Birthday Cole. As always he is gorgeous, and I love his big smile. He is such a happy boy! Motherhood is a wonderful thing isn't it. You never know just how much you can love someone and how much you can give of yourself until you have one of these cute little guys of your own to hug and squeeze (and yes, kiss 1000 times a day!) Noah gets smoothered in my love all day long too, I dread the day (that I know will come) when he says "moooooom, don't kiss me!" (sad face) I want him to stay my little boy forever!! We love you guys!

*hugs*
Heidi & Noah

Holly said...

Cole is 7 months going on almost a year!! OMG!! Time flies! Cole will never be a label in the eyes of people who matter. Cole is "Cole", who just happens to be the cutest, happiest, most lovable baby on the planet! And he has a ton of Aunties that will kick anyone's butt who says anything different! LOL.

laurins said...

Katie, Cole is so stinken cute! I look forward to the day we get to meet in person and she that personality in person. You can tell he is a very happy little boy! I 100% understand what you mean about knowing what love is now :) Our children wether they are lp or ah are so precious and special. My heart is so full of love for my babies! Isn't it the best thing?! Enjoy your little cutie!

The Bjorks said...

I love this post!! You're an amazing Mommy! Happy 7 months Cole! Time flies..all of my friends who had babies in 2007 are busy planning first birthdays..crazy how quickly time flies. I feel like Ive gotten to know you so much through your blog and youre an inspiration to so many people. I love the honesty :)

Lots of love from California!