Apr 8, 2008

Cole is Home!

Just a quick update...Cole was released this morning around 9:00am!! Brooks said he woke up every few hours last night and around 4:30am woke up to play...he's back to Cole :) When we got home and got settled in he even ate a full 8 ounce bottle and then took a good nap! We are all really tired (especially Brooks), but I'm just glad to be home. I don't know how families that have to stay in the hospital day after day do it. I'm watching him roll around his bed right now, so I know he will be just fine! The only hard part is getting an 8 month old to take his medicine...any suggestions?? He just uses his tongue to spit it back out and if you try and mix it with his formula he knows the difference and refuses it...smart boy!

14 sweet comments:

Kim said...

Katie-Try a syringe. If you have any pharmacy around you (CVS) they will give you a syringe. Shoots it right inot the back of their mouth and they have no choice but to take it. Preston is awesome with meds, except once he had a gritty antibiotic and hated it. The syringe was the only way.
So happy to hear Cole is back to his usual happy self!
Hugs,
Kim

Supermom-In-Training said...

Hooray!! I'm so happy that Cole is home again! I also tried a syringe with JD and then stuffed his pacifier in right afterward so that he would suck right way.

Amanda Boyd

The Bjork's said...

We're so glad to hear that everything went well and you guys are back at home!! Yah! We'll continue to say prayers for a speedy recovery. Keep us all posted!

The Hernandez Family said...

Welcome back home! So glad to hear that everything went well. I have no advice for the medicine thing, so let me know what ends up working for you guys!

*Hugs*
Heidi & Noah

Jennifer said...

I'm so happy everything went well and Cole is home safe and sound. He's such a happy guy! Love all the pictures. Katie, you are so lucky to have such a good natured boy!

The Valiant Family Updates said...

Try to put his meds in 1 ounce of formula when he is really hungry and then let him have the rest of his 7 ounces after. I agree that the syringe and binkie plan work well too but I recommend Walgreens:-) (My husband is employed there so I couldn't resist-how dare Kim:-). They also can flavor the meds to taste like bubble gum and other yummy things if you ask;-)

Leann said...

Glad to hear that everything went well!
I agree with the syringe method as well. Try 'releasing' the medicine, lil by lil on the inside of his cheek. That worked for me.
Good luck!

BRYAN'S YAYA said...

good ole syringe works best for us. drop it between the cheek and the gum. glad to hear you guys are home where it is quiet and comfy!

Candi
YaYa to Bryan

Lisa said...

Yay! Wonderful to hear that things are getting back to normal. Every time the kids go thru any type of medical procedure, it's nerve-wracking.
Hang in there and good luck with the medicine. That's always a challenge. Wish there was a secret I could pass on.

Amanda said...

I had the same problem with Allie pushing the meds out with her tongue...even if I used a syringe. What got her to swallow it is if I blew gently in her face. It forces them to swallow. If gentle doesnt work at first then slowly increase how hard you blow...and do it very short spurts. I also sing her favorite songs while I give medicine, it usually calms her down.

Im glad everything went well!

Jill said...

Good to hear Cole is doing well. When my son was in the hospital we used the nipple from the bottle to give him his meds. Just put the med into the nipple without the bottle and they can suck it all down. HOpe that helps.

Jill (son JD 2 achon)

*read your blog off TOnya's

Katie said...

Thank you everyone for your suggestions! We have a syringe and flavored medicine...he still finds a way to push it out! lol I'm going to try Jill's idea of putting it in the bottle. We were mixing it with his formula, but if he doesn't finish the bottle then he doesn't get all of his meds...what a little stinker!

How Life Is Measured said...

Yay Cole! I'm so glad to hear everything is OK! Only our smiley Cole would be grinning ear to ear in a hospital!
Good luck!
Cat

Anonymous said...

Katie-
I'm so glad to hear things went well. I was thinking about him this week. Regarding the medicine thing -- try putting a pacifier in his mouth right after giving it to him (if he uses one). Recently, what has worked for Madison is to put the medicine on a spoon -- she ate it right up. I just kept refilling the spoon until the necessary amount was taken. Good luck - I know how it is with spitting medicine out.
:)
Mel Gunty