Apr 7, 2008

Cole- Minus a few parts



Today was the big day! We arrived at the hospital at noon. While we waited he got to play in the children's activity room...boy did he have fun rolling all over the place and playing with some new toys! At 1:30, he was dressed in his cute little hospital gown and flirting with the nurses. I was strong up until I watched a nurse carrying away my little boy..then the tears started. The surgery was over a little after 2:00 and when I saw him it was so sad. He was drugged up on morphine and laying on his tummy propped up. He looked awful. His eyes were half closed and he was snoring (which he never does), but they reassured me that it was due to the pain medication. Cole did WONDERFUL during surgery! The doctor and anesthesiologist said everything went smoothly and he was a little champ! He napped in the recovery area for about an hour and then they wheeled him up to the PICU. Cole didn't need intensive care, but because he is achondroplastic he has smaller airways and when you have your tonsils removed there can be some swelling. The concern was if his airways swelled they could completely shut and he would be without oxygen. So, he is in the PICU for observation. The nurse we have was super sweet and she even lives in the same city we do! She also looked to be around the same age...I was sad to see the nurses do their switch because we felt really comfortable with her. Cole has been very lethargic today and not himself at all. He has managed to eat around 8-10 ounces and a few wet diapers!! I can see how much pain he is in when he coughs, but the pain meds are helping that. The nurses also told me that this is the youngest baby they have seen get their tonsils removed. I'm sure he will be released tomorrow without any problems! One of the nurses actually got him to crack a little smile...not for me though! I think he is mad at me :) Brooks is spending the night with him tonight and I came home to take care of Honey and Riley (and my neighbors dog Lincoln). Thank you so much for every ones emails, calls, text messages and support! It means so much to both Brooks and I to have so much love around us! Your prayers worked and Cole is doing great!




On a side note, I previously wrote about our friend Carter who has been in the PICU for 3 weeks now. He is getting a bone marrow transplant tonight! His mom, Krissie was a match!! She said that it did make her sick a few times. Their battle isn't over yet, but this is the start to some good things to come!

7 sweet comments:

Jaime M said...

Katie, glad to hear that all went well. I ABSOLUTELY LOVE Cole's smiling face in the first two pictures! I bet that he melts a lot of hearts with that smile!

Sarah and Matt said...

I am so glad to hear Cole is out and doing well! That's great news! Your pictures are adorable. I don't think Cole can take a bad picture :) Even that last one with no smile is so sweet. I just want to hug him and kiss him :) Keep us updated and I hope he gets out of there soon. I know how much it stinks being in the hospital with your baby!

Jennjilla said...

I bet your cute kid was totally flirting with the hot nurses!! :) I'm so glad all went well and I'm praying for a speedy recovery! I hope everyone gets to come home soon, and I'm also thrilled to hear Carter is getting his transplant. Keep us posted on everyone's progress! Love and Hugs! :)

The Valiant Family Updates said...

Oh Katie, I love the hospital pictures! I know it's sad but he is so sweet-I took some like that when Owen had pneumonia and I loved them (except that I wish he didn't have to go thru it at all of course). I pray this helps Cole sleep better, breath better, etc! What a trooper (all of you actually!).

Take care and keep us updated!

Hugs, Renay

Holly said...

i am so happy to hear that everything went good! even in a hospital, Cole has a smile on his face! i will keep praying for a fast recovery :)

Love you all

Kim said...

My favortie picture is this last one where he is giving you that evil eye look! Love him!

Tonya said...

I am glad it went well...I am late, but know he has been on my mind!