Apr 6, 2008

My Dream Scrapbook Room!

I love to scrapbook! I have since High School, the only problem is I don't have a place to do it. I usually have everything in a big storage container that I have to lug out of the closet every time I get the urge to scrap. Then, I have the BIGGEST mess all over the family room floor. When I'm done I have to clean it all up...such a pain! Well, in our house we have four bedrooms...the master, Cole's and two guest rooms. I finally decided to take the plunge and turn one of the rooms into to my very own private oasis of fun!! I am so excited. I have been obsessed with researching all different types of set-ups and the furniture that people use! Probably have spent around 25 hours of looking at different websites where people post pictures of their rooms...I know I'm a little obsessed! Well, I just don't want to make a mistake! OK, so I have been DROOLING over the Pottery Barn Project Table for well over a year (maybe a little into 2). See picture..isn't it a beauty! Photobucket Well, at $1100 (before tax and shipping) it's a little bit out of my price range. Maybe if I didn't have a million dollar baby and I worked (thanks babe for working so hard which allows me to stay home) I could easily buy this beautiful table. I actually think I had my husband convinced at one time to let me buy it, but then my sensible side kicked in and I looked at all of our bills and medical bills and realized that it would be silly. I decided I would go a different direction on my new room. I really like the shabby chic style, but my house looks nothing like that...so I will turn my new room into a different kind of space. On Friday, I went up to an antique store to look around at furniture. I decided I wanted an old kitchen table that I could distress and make my own. I went into the this super cute shop and right away found this little cabinet with drawers...PERFECT!! Exactly what I have been searching for! I circle the store getting discouraged because I found one table, but at $500 for a really old table...I thought ya right! There was one more floor, but they didn't have an elevator and Cole was sleeping in his stroller. The lady at the desk told me she would watch him. I felt a little uncomfortable leaving him with a stranger, but I could see him at all times and the upper floor was really small. And then...I see it!!! The perfect antique white table I have seen! Exactly what I was looking for! I was nervous to look at the price, but I saw it marked at $185 then underneath it said $80. I was so excited. I run downstairs and tell the ladies I will take it! They called the vendor just to check on the price and she said "oh, no it's half off of that...the table was only $40!!!! My lucky day!

If you know me you know that I'm usually not a bargain shopper and never go into antique stores or even discount stores (except Target...I'm obsessed with the store). I have turned a new leaf! Now on to finding a really cute upholstered parson chair. That is what I am envisioning! I know ya'll are on the edge of your seats waiting to see if I can find it and at a good price! :)

Now on to more important news! Cole goes in for surgery tomorrow at 1:30. I think Brooks is going to spend the night with him in the PICU so I will let you know how it goes! Thank you everyone for all of your kind messages and cards (thank you Noah and Heidi).

14 sweet comments:

Jennifer said...

Great bargains Katie. I always wanted a sewing room but never actually got one. Gil got an office instead. Be sure to update on Cole's surgery. We will all be anxious for news. I'll keep you in my prayers.

Tonya said...

We have Cole and the rest of you in our prayers! May his surgery pass quickly and he make a fast recovery!

Beautiful table at a great price!!!

BRYAN'S YAYA said...

you're hooked now, its a fun game to see just want you can get for so little. I hope Cole has a speedy recovery, I will be saying a little extra prayer for you guys tonite and tomorrow.

Candi
YaYa to Bryan

Jennjilla said...

Girl, bargain shopping is the WAY to go! I'm impressed by your finds, and what fun you will have in your scrapbooking room! Maybe I should turn our 4th bedroom into one, too. Right now it's just a catch all of crap. I'll get to doing that after I check off my 20384083 other things I've been "wanting" to do...hahhaa

I'll be thinking of you guys tomorrow, and pray for a quick surgery and a speedy recovery!

Hugs and Love!

Holly said...

How fun!!! I wish i had the time and patience to scrapbook!!! Post some pictures of your completed room!

Amanda said...

thats so neat, Katie! I love it when I have great finds like that! One time I found some Aerosoles shoes (great high heeled shoes that are perfect for standing all day teaching while still looking young) that were supposed to be 75.00 and when I got to the register they rang for 6.25. I was beyond excited!
...and about the scrapbooking room. Its such an awesome space to have. When we moved in we knew we'd have a 'teacher' office because we constantly have to bring our work home. I would always do my scrabooking on the floor in there and my husband would be frustrated with my mess. So for christmas, he got me a desk that matched the big one but much smaller. So now I have my lil scrapbooking corner of the office. Its small, but its mine. This way Allie can play on the floor while I scrap. Its the best! I can wait to see your finished room!

Kim said...

Katie,
What a find! So happy for you! My bedroom set is from PB and it's not the tax it's the damn extra shipping price! It annoys me to no end. It's because they use a separate company to ship-I think they are at the point they can buy a truck or too and deliver straight from their warehouse, but whatever.
I think your room is going to be AWESOME!
Also of course praying for Cole and hoping that the surgery is quick and you guys are back home ASAP!
Hugs, Kim

Sarah and Matt said...

Katie, I will be thinking of you all and praying for a speedy surgery and recovery! Let us know how he does when you get some free time.
I love the new table!! I love PB too. I'm addicted to it. We have an outlet not too far from us that I go to quite often with a friend of mine. I got Kaela a beautiful white dresser for 150! You got a great bargain though and looks like a great table. You will have to post pics once it's all set up :)

The Bjork's said...

Greta job bargain hunting!! Im the same way..i dont always look for the sale, but when I find it, it's great!! The scrapbooking rooms sounds amazing..I love to scrapbook. Post pictures when you have it all done!

On another note..Wes & I said a prayer for you guys at Church this morning..and we'll continue to say many more for Cole's surgery. We're sure he'll do great and we hope for a quick and healthy recovery!!

Tricia said...

All the best to you all as Cole heads into surgery today.

Jaime M said...

Thinking of Cole and hope that he has a speedy recovery. As for the scrapbooking, I have never done it before, but decided that since Caitlyn just had her 3rd birthday I would do one. Well I can see that it's going to become a very expensive hobby if I continue to do it. I'm looking forward to creating this book for her. Best wishes to you and Cole

The Hernandez Family said...

Ok, I'm sooo jealous of your scrapbook room. I have a million little tubs (i'm kind of tub organized, stickers, stamps, paper, etc. etc. etc. etc. etc...LOL) and I have to pull it all out everytime and make a huge mess. From now on, I'll just go to your house to scrapbook. :) Hope everything went well today, look forward to hearing how Cole's surgery went. AOE

Supermom-In-Training said...

We hope Cole's surgery went well today! We were thinking about your family in Baby Boot Camp today!

Amanda Boyd

Yoli said...

Great find Katie. I just stumbled onto your blog as I was searching for ideas for my own SB room. If you are still interested in buying the PB project table you can find a much cheaper version of the table at Pier 1 or at Target.

Prayers for your baby Cole.

A friendly stranger,

Yoli
http://mysbroom.blogspot.com