Jul 23, 2008

It's Going to be a "Green" Christmas This Year!

Living in North Texas, we don't get to enjoy a white Christmas...we have brown ones. Everything here goes dormant or dead, as my father-in-law would say, in the winter. But not this year...we are heading to California for Christmas! It's always so pretty and green and the view of beautiful snow capped mountains outside my parents house is what I always think of in the winter time. My parents booked us plane tickets to come home this year!!! Last year we spent Christmas in Texas and Brooks' side of the family made the long journey out here, so this year we get to head that way! Our goal is to be able to go home every other year for the holidays...but with the cost of plane tickets, American Airlines is making it much more difficult for us! I just wanted to share my exciting news!

Thank you to EVERYONE who gave their advice about getting Cole to sleep and I'm happy to report that we have had 3 nights of sleep...in a row! He wakes up about 5 to eat, but hey..I'm OK with that because then he goes back to sleep for another couple of hours!! Hallelujah!

On a side note, Cole is scheduled for another sleep study on August 5th, but this time we are going back to the hospital that did his first one. Keep your fingers crossed! I did ask the doctor if there was anything else that we could do in place of a sleep study, but they said this was necessary. Since Cole doesn't show outward signs of sleep apnea it is needed to see if he is truly still having any...I'm really hoping he isn't and we can move forward! On August 21st, Cole is scheduled for another MRI. REALLY praying that everything is still A-OK in that department! He's progressing developmentally and not showing any symptoms, so I have my fingers crossed! And...last, but certainly not least, we have x-rays scheduled for the end of September on Cole's back. Our orthopedic doctor has been waiting for Cole to turn one so she can get an accurate look at the kyphosis in his back. Kyphosis is something that all people with Achondroplasia have, but it's to what degree they have it that causes concern. Usually when they start to walk it straightens itself out. In some cases, the child will need a brace to help correct it and in extreme cases, surgery is required. Cole had a check-up a few months back and at that time our doctor wasn't super concerned with Cole's degree of kyphosis, so I'm hoping it hasn't changed much.

And, that folks is just another day in the life of an achondroplastic parent...

7 sweet comments:

Danielle said...

I hope your sleep study goes better this time! And woohoo about going home for Christmas! I love the picture of Cole in the toy basket...absolutely adorable!!

Kim said...

Cole is so photogenic. He has such a squeezable face! I really hope the sleep study goes well and it is not the nightmare that was last time.
Cool news about going home for Christmas! So exciting! I think I had one white Christmas in my life and I live in the Northeast. Good ol' global warming.

Caden and Mommy said...

Katie!
Great news about going home for Christmas. Since getting married and having Caden I have begun to dread the holidays, sad, but I hate having to balance the family time! It's tough!
I hope all of Cole's appointments go well. We have another round of appointments the first week in August! Let's cross our finger's that Cole's sleep study comes back ok. Trying to get babies to wear a bi-pap or c-pap sucks!
I love the pic of the shirt stuck on Cole's head. Silly Boy!
Trisha

Holly & Jon said...

oh yay! I am super excited you are coming home for Christmas!!!

And I will keep my fingers crossed that the sleep study & all up coming appointments go smoothly :)

Andrea said...

Good luck with your next sleep study. My fingers are crossed for you!

So glad Cole is sleeping better. Evan went to bed without a fit last night--first time in months. We had to keep checking on him because it was so out of the norm!

Hall Family said...

Good luck with all of Cole's appointments. Keeping up with the doctors is a full-time job! The photos are cute, as always.

Aunt Jen said...

Katie- That picture of cole in the basket...I've seen his Daddy and his cousin Brooke make that exact face! It must be in the genes or something...I'm so excited that you guys will be coming to California for Christmas. Now we just need to convince Mom and Dad to come down too! I'll see you in week...