Jul 20, 2008

Lots of News

OK, it's time for the BIG news that I have been so excited about!! The proof is in the picture...


That's right!! Cole can sit up in a grocery cart!! He's still a little unsure with what he is supposed to do while sitting in there, but I know he will get the hang of it soon. I ordered him a cart cover and I'm waiting for it to get here. He likes to lean over and try to eat the hand rail...yuck! There are so many germs on that thing. Now, to a parent of an average height child this news wouldn't be as exciting, but to an LP parent that has been not so patiently waiting for this day for almost a year, it is huge. I'm over the moon about this!! Cole loves to prop his feet up on anything and kick back and relax and this was no exception. Notice the left foot.

Cole has been climbing on everything lately! It's amazing at how strong he has become. I really didn't expect him to start doing this until much later on. His favorite thing to climb up on and stand next to...mommy and daddy! We just love to lie on the ground and let him climb all over us and listen to his little giggle as he does it.

Another one of Cole's newer tricks is clapping. All we have to say is "yaaaa" and he gets the biggest smile and starts clapping his hands and moving his feet. It's enough to melt your heart! We are still "practicing" sitting up. I say practicing in quotes because he can do it just fine, but he doesn't trust himself. He will be sitting on the floor playing with a toy and my legs are around him...he is constantly searching for me with one hand just to make sure I am still there.Please don't mind his filthy dirty onesie. It's really hard to keep your baby clean looking when they army crawl and drag their body around on your floor. I promise I clean my floors almost daily, but it sure doesn't look like it!

So, I'm just exhausted lately! Cole has decided that he is done sleeping through the night and wants to wake up 2-3 times a night. This started about a month ago. I have been blaming it on teething, which I'm sure it has some to do with. He did get 4 teeth in the last 4 weeks. He will wake up screaming so I get up...walk upstairs...check his diaper. Sometimes he will go #2 at night and he needs to be changed so I can't just ignore the crying and make him go back to sleep. I usually will try and just rock him back to sleep or I will make him a bottle. Once you pick him up the crying stops, once you put him down the crying begins. If I feed him he will roll right back over and go to sleep, but I don't want him to get used to eating at 2:00 in the morning. I seriously don't know what to do!! I am so sleep deprived it's not even funny. Cole will still take 2-3 one hour naps every day. Any tips help would be appreciated!!

21 sweet comments:

Jennjilla said...

Ok - this is what I did, and you can totally take it or leave it! :) I'm not sure if y'all give Cole Advil (Ibprophen - sp?), but that really helps a lot more than tylenol on swelling from teething. If Sawyer had(or has,he is teething horribly these days) a bad day, right before bed I'd give him a dose and that would get him through most of the night. He, too, would get up and want to eat...sigh. So, I would make him water bottles instead of milk. After about 3 of those, he decided water was not worth it to get up for and would go back to sleep. I'm really big on self soothing...if he sees me, it's over with, so I try and let him cry it out. I'll litter his crib with pacy's before bedtime so he can find one and that helps,too. Do you think you can alter his nap schedule any? Find an activity that will keep him awake when he would normally take on of those naps...that will help get him tired and sleep at nighttime. I used to take Sawyer to Target just to get him out and about (which I don't really recommend because then you buy junk ya don't need.)

Good luck, girl. A year and 1/2 into this parenting stuff and I honestly still haven't the slightest clue on what I'm doing! hahahaha

The Book of Renee and Ryan said...

It's so exciting to see him sitting! I know that will make getting around much less complicated for you! Congratulations to Cole!

Amanda said...

oh Allie used to do that during her teething days...it was awful. And I know what you mean about not wanting to retrain him to want to eat at 2 am. I used to just rock her...but lately at this age I try not to pick her up at all. I just reposition her back on her tummy to a new part of the bed and turn on her music box. If she doesnt knock out instantly (that's usually the case) I will rub her back for like 30 seconds. Occasionally those dont work and I have to pick her up and rock her...and every now and again I'm so exhausted I have to resort to giving her milk. she doesnt take it in bottles anymore but a sippy cup... it still works though. I have come to the conclusion that I think she just wants me to be there with her while she sleeps and doesnt need anything, but I cant let her cry it out because she goes into an absolute tizzy and I can never calm her down...Anyhow, my advice to you is to try not to pick him up if you can manage it and just sing or play music and rub his back. This way he doesnt get into the habit of having you around at night or eating. Hope it works or you get some advice that does! Keep us posted!

emily said...

Congrats on the major achievement Cole! Very exciting! As for the sleeping...well, everyone has their own way of getting through it. If mine woke in the middle of the night, I would get up to check the diaper, but I would change them in the crib - no picking them up, turning on the light, or even talking to them! Mine both slept with "loveys", so I would re-insert the binky, snuggle them up with the lovey, and then leave. It's hard when you know they want you, but sleep is very important...for you and for them! Good luck!

Alex said...

that's amazing! He looks so proud in that shopping cart! Hopefully the waking up at night is just a phase...

Supermom-In-Training said...

Yay for sitting up! Motrin was the only thing that really helped JD during teething. We would give him some right before bed after his bottle. I also used one of those pacifier clips on his jammies to keep a pacifier handy for him to suck on. Good luck! But that phase will soon pass!

Hall Family said...

I would suggest the Ibuprofen/Motrin too. That is what my ped recommended, and it works well for Parker. Maybe he is waking up more because he is hitting new milestones with his motor skills. I read that babies often don't sleep as well when they are doing new things (like sitting up, pulling up). It is as if they want to get up and practice some more. The water bottles didn't work on Parker -- once he realized they were water, he was even more ticked off than before. I did, however, water down his formula so it wasn't as good, and he didn't catch on to that one.

Jaime said...

YIPPEE for Cole! I remember when Caitlyn started sitting up by herself, which was around 11 months or so. She was just so happy to be done with laying on her back. It puts a whole new perspective on the world when viewed while sitting. The cart covers are such a wonderful thing to have. We still use ours. Cole is looking so grown up in these pictures. Maybe it because he's almost 1!!! Where does the time go?

ps - on another note, you might be getting an email from a mom named Lannie. She posted on the POLP group and asked if anyone lived in Texas. I have sent her your direction.

Rob & Michelle said...

Congratulations Cole! You look so happy and relaxed sitting up in the cart! What a great accomplishment Katie, He looks like a pro!

How Life Is Measured said...

Katie,
That's so awesome! Sorry I have been out of commission and haven't commented. Owen does the same thing with his foot. It won't hang out the holes so he ends up almost side saddle in the grocery cart. Owen has been waking up at night too lately. I wonder what it is?! Teething seems to be the biggest answer, but who knows. I think Owen is really starting to dream and has nightmares. That's a real bummer to think about huh?
Cat

Jenn said...

Yeah, way to Cole! We knew you could - now go to sleep! Love you all :)

Holly & Jon said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Holly & Jon said...

Oh my gosh Cole!! You are such a stud!! Sitting up all by yourself...yippeee!!!

Kim said...

I want to eat him up in he grocery cart picture. I even sent it to my girlfriend and she is in love with him! I am so happy that he is learning all these new tricks. He is just a precious little angel.
As far as sleeping I am obviously the wrong person to ask since my child is a mutant. Preston went through those stages throughout his little life-the most recent being the most annoying.
He didn't really get too worked up when he was teething-Cole may be going through a growth spurt and that is the need for food. He looks really big in the newest pictures to me-so maybe he just needs the refueling-but I agree you don't want them too dependent on the bottle.
Good luck!

Tonya said...

YEAH COLE!!! Good Job! I had comment before but it is lost in internet...

I am so proud of you!!

As far as sleeping...wish I could help!

Anonymous said...

YEAA!!! Cole we are so proud of you. You are getting to be such a big boy. (I love the pics of him pulling himself up, too) As for the wakin gup in the middle of the night he probably is interested in the sucking that drinking a bottle allows him to do. The sucking motion helps with sore teeth and gums. Is there anything else that he may suck on? Otherwise the water trick works too. If you can check him without picking him up you will save yourself a headache down the road. I used to check the kids and if they were clean I would pat their backs for a bit to help settle them down but I tried not to pick them up because I learned with Noah that it would continue even when he was alright just because he wanted to be held. I hope this passes soon. I always thought it was harder to wake up that often at this point because I was out of practice. (I hope you don't have to get into practice!) We can't wait to see you in 2 more weeks! YEA!!!

Aunt Jen

Leann said...

Yeay Cole! Troy loves to 'lounge' when he's in the grocery cart seat too. Lately his thing is to sit the length of the seat - - -he won't let his feet dangle! Hey! whatever works, huh?
We used Hyland's Teething Tablets -it works great! and the best thing is that it's a homeopathic remedy.
here's the website if you want to see what the box looks like - http://www.hylands.com/products/teething.php
I've never seen them at Target, but I got them at Rite Aid.
Hope that helps! Good luck!

Caden and Mommy said...

Katie!

Okay, I'm jealous! Clearly Cole is at the advanced end of the achon development chart and Caden is at the delayed end of the development chart! Sitting in the shopping cart ... how totally cool! I take the stroller shopping now and load that up with groceries. People look at me like I'm weird, but ya gotta do what you gotta do!

As far as the sleeping. I use the teething tablets. Also, if it's been a tough day I will give Caden Motrin before bed and that gets him through the night. Keep in mind ear infections. We had went through a five night stretch of continuosly waking up at night a few months ago and it turned out Caden had a double ear infection. I felt bad! Good Luck!!! ... and very cute pictures!

Jennifer said...

Cole is so cute. He's just getting stronger and stronger all the time. Great pictures and great milestones to celebrate!

Tonya R said...

Hi Katie!! I read your whole blog!! I love it!! I know I already told you but you have an adorable little boy! He looks like he is such a joy to be around. I can't wait until I get married and have a family so I can join the blogging world! hehe Take Care and I look forward to reading more!! Oh and I'm not a parent yet but I am an lp and have been through almost everything that lp's have gone through so if you ever have any questions, feel free to ask!!

<3 Tonya

The Hernandez Family said...

Yay Cole!! Sitting up in the shopping cart! Yay Katie! Life just got a little easier, no more shopping with a carseat in the basket!! Like Cole, Noah doesn't like to put his feet in the shopping cart holes, he likes to pull them in and sit with one arm over the back rail like he is just "chillin." It must be something in the air, Noah started waking up in the middle of the night again this week! I seriously just want to cry thinking about it. I know how exhausted you must be! We give Noah the teething tabs (he gobbles them up like candy) I always keep them with me and anytime he is fussy beyond normal I give him 2 or 3 and it settles him down, I know they are for teething, but they seem to work for anything.