Dec 15, 2008

I Came, I Ran, I Conquered!

Yesterday was RACE day! I participated in the White Rock Marathon relay portion! We had 4 teams of 5 girls on each team..20 all together! What a {crazy} day it was, but so much fun! We would drop off a girl at spot one then jump in the car and race over to exchange point 2. Wait for that girl, pick her up and drop off the next runner and so on. It was so crazy trying to navigate downtown Dallas since most streets were closed due to the marathon. We had the best time just laughing together. At one point there was a man in the front of the pack in a wheelchair type device where he only used his arms...man did I get emotional. I was seriously crying. It was so inspirational to see this man fight through adversity. My run was the 4th leg of the race. I started at mile 15 and finished at mile 20. We ran around the lake and up the Dolly Parton hills. It was supposed to be in the 70's that day, but with the 35mph winds, especially around the lake, it felt a lot colder. Speaking of winds..man! Around the lake was just insane. We had head winds most of the time which ate up a lot of my energy, but I was feeling good. There were bands all along the course with people lined up cheering everyone on. My friend Amanda and I wore Team Cole shirts and we got to run together, so it was so neat to hear so many people yell "Go Team Cole!" We would cheer every time someone did it! My longest run ever was 4.8 miles, so I knew this would be a challenge. I felt good all the way up to mile 5 which was completely up hill! They call them the Dolly Parton hills and now I know why! They had men dressed up as Dolly Parton handing out beer to the runners, which I resisted even though it smelled so good! I was so thankful to have Amanda right there with me, pushing me along the way. I needed her for sure on mile 5! She's ran 3 marathons before and is a pro runner!


I had my 2 special men in my life cheering me on which meant the world to me! As I was approaching my exchange point and ready to die...I heard Go Team Cole and looked over to see Brooks and Cole cheering us on! It felt so good and gave me that extra energy to push on though! I ran my 5 miles in about 55 minutes {nobody kept official time for each leg} but I achieved my goal of under an hour, so I ran about a 10 minute mile! My team ran the marathon in 4 hours 33 minutes which was a 10.27 minute mile.


I ended up raising $1, 180 for Texas Scottish Rite! Thank you to everyone for your support financially, emotionally and physically! It was a great day and I hope to maybe do the half marathon next year {13.1 miles}...ahh we'll see! lol A super special thank you to Amanda, who pushed me kicking and screaming for the past 2 months to get my butt out there and train. I couldn't have done it without ya girl!! Ready to start training for next year? ;)

15 sweet comments:

Supermom-In-Training said...

It was so much fun doing the marathon thing with you yesterday! I think we all did pretty darn good considering all that wind!! Let me know when you want to start training for a half marathon ;)

Becky said...

Way to go Katie! I could never have even run that far! And to raise that much money, WOW! Good luck with the training for next year!

Caden and Mommy said...

Katie! Way to go! What a great accomplishment and to dedicate the run to Cole - heartwarming! Cute shirts!
Trisha

Lucia & Jose said...

GOOD JOB KATIE!!! I am so happy for you. Reading your post got me a little emotional thinking of Cole and your family and all the hard work you do as a mom.

xoxo
Lucia

Ever Changing said...

congrats on finishing the race and getting your PR!!! (persoanl record!) best of wishes for next year, single or w/Team Cole!!!

Mike said...

Congrats! Sounds like you had a great time and did a lot of good with your fundraising - what a great weekend!

The Leonard Four said...

hip, hip, HOORAY!!!! great job, katie! a 10 minute mile!!! YOU ROCK! love the shirts, too!!! :) congrats!

Melisa said...

WooHoo! Congrats on the marathon.

Holly said...

WAY TO GO TEAM COLE!!! Awesome job!!!!

mejane said...

Wow! What an accomplishment. You should be really proud of yourself!

Emily said...

Congrats, Katie! You did it! What an awesome accomplishment!

Kim said...

Katie! I am so proud of you. reading your post made me tired. My butt needs to get off the couch after the holidays. And what a treat to have your two wonderful guys right there cheering you on!

QGIRL said...

Congratulations! you are truly an inspiration.
p.s. super cute photos of Cole with Santa!

Melissa Swartley said...

Congratulations! You are definitely an inspiration! Love the Team Cole T-shirts!

Greene Family said...

Way to go, Katie - Congrats on a fantastic run and raising so much money for a great cause!! I love the Team Cole shirts! So sweet of your guys there cheering you on!