Feb 23, 2009

when BAD haircuts happen to GOOD people

I should have trusted my instincts! They told me to just trim his hair myself, but did I listen? Nope. Did I take him to the cute little kiddie place I normally do? Nope...in an effort to save a measly $4 we took him to Great Clips because my husband needed a haircut as well. He can go anywhere and still manage to come home with a decent cut. I should have known when I walked in and the place had a yucky smell to it. I just didn't have a good feeling. Cole sat down in Brooks' lap and I politely told the lady to thin out the back (because of his crazy cowlick) and around his ears, but to just slightly trim his bangs. Did she listen?? She just did her own thing and went to town and before I could protest it was all done. My son looks like the star of "Dumb and Dumber." I know it's just hair and it will grow back, but I'm so sad...See for yourself! His shirt said it all yesterday....

Don't let that smile fool you...he was just as upset with the whole ordeal :)

Here it is today with a little gel in it. I guess I can live with it for a few weeks, but I swear to him that I will never ever ever take him back to that horrible lady with long purple nails again!

23 sweet comments:

Emily said...

Aww...he still looks completely adorable! Haircuts are always iffy, particularly with the achon noggin. But really, Cole looks great.

Sarah said...

aw, it's really not that bad. I wasn't even sure if that 1st pic. was going to be it or if we'd see something else. He is so cute that even a bad haircut can't affect his cuteness....truly, he's still absolutley adorable! You are too funny though :)

Holly said...

Ok - I know you don't like the hair, but honestly he looks ADORABLE! I actually like his bangs short, he has such a sweet face that he couldn't have a bad hair day!! :)

Andrea said...

If you didn't take such cute photos maybe I would have been convinced that this was a bad haircut!

Now if I had cut it, you really would have been crying!

Melissa Johnson said...

awww, he still looks super cute!

Danielle said...

I think he looks adorable! but i do empathize with you - the one time i took laynie to great clips the back of her hair was crooked. I mean like about two inches longer on one side than the other crooked. i had to fix it! So I did save $10, but I had to recut the back. now I just shell out the $$ for the kids place! but i have to say, i don't think he looks like he should be in dumb and dumber.

Jodi said...

Oh, but you can see more of his SWEET little face! He is precious no matter what!! I am still dying to get together!!

Kim said...

Katie! I am dying laughing because I love how you describe the whole experience-first thing I thought was no way Katie is going to Great Clips! LOL! I love that Cole's shirt was so appropriate, but it does not look bad. I hear you on the haircuts. I am always there even at the salon or now the kids place with my figner on his forehead. Once becfore Seamus' 2nd b-day party my stylish could not get Preston to sit still and it was WAY too short. And then the cowlicks-argh!
But can I say that I think Cole's haircut does not detract from his super cuteness at all. The gel picutre is ADORABLE. His big eyes are just dreamy.

Melissa Swartley said...

Awww! It's not so bad! He's too cute no matter what! Gotta love cowlicks! Both of my girls have them!

Supermom-In-Training said...

He still looks like a doll. And kudos to you for making it look so much better today! You know how to style your guy! And his big beautiful eyes show up so much now! And like you said - boys hair grows so fast, it will be long again before you know it!

the nelson family said...

aww i think he looks adorable! but yes bad haircuts = anxiety and obsession for me! give it a week and you won't even know he got it cut. he is still so cute!

the rodriguez crew said...

i totally think it looks good in the 2nd pic! the gel does the trick i think?? i agree... it will seem way less dramatic in a few days. you were just so used to it the way it was.

and thank you for giving me my answer regarding J's hair... we will not be getting any kind of trim just yet b/c i fear that we'll get a lady w/ purple acrylic nails too, and his curls will be butchered! phew. i'll hold out a tad longer. ;)

cole looks precious as always!

sharon said...

Katie i so know how you feel. leo had a haircut that was way too short when our hairdresser was on maternity leave..i did get used to it!! I agree with everyone else, it doesnt stop Cole from looking absolutely adorable:)

The Leonard Four said...

i think that sweet cole looks as studly as ever...and like i said this morning, a little more grown up.

but. be sure to stay away from purple nails next time!! :)

Meredith said...

I think it looks really cute on him! A "big boy" hair cut!!

Becky said...

It's not that bad! And with a face that cute, who needs a stellar haircut! I have had bad experiences at places like that too. My girl didn't have long purple nails, but I think she might have just been on high school work release. It's really bad when the my hair cut took half as long as Joe's!

Cole is so cute, I don't think you have to worry about the few weeks it will take to grow back to how you want it!

tiffany said...

Cole is still as precious as ever!

I agree with Jodi K....you can just see more of his sweet face :-)

Stinky place + long purple nails + lady not listening to your request = BAD NEWS BEARS!!!

How Life Is Measured said...

ROTFLMAO!!!!
Is that how you say it?! Katie, you crack me up! While I don't think he has quite reached Lloyd and Harry status yet, I can totally relate to a bad haircut. It would be worse if you gave it to him.
Hair grows back and no matter what, you can't stop Coles cuteness!

The Lance Family said...

Long purple nails...run, run, run!!! I think Cole is just as cute as ever...bad haircut or not!!

Melisa said...

He is still totally cute. Not as bad as you think. We don't do great clips any longer. I purchased a hair trimmer from Target and now Todd buzz's his own hair and Aidan's...can you tell? Aidan sits better with dadddy. We take Ashleigh to the kids cutters.

Jennifer said...

Katie! I don't think it's bad at all! He's so darn cute that you can't possibly hide that no matter what!

The Weisser family said...

Katie- it's really not that bad! believe me I've seen & fixed worse! if you guys didnt live on the other side of the country I'd cut it for him! but dont worry it'll grow out in no time!

Greene Family said...

He is absolutely adorable, and I don't think his haircut is that bad! I love the appropriateness of his shirt though! :) Like I told myself when I cut Simon's hair shorter than I anticipated . . . luckily it grows back quickly - haha! We know what you mean about the cowlick though. We refer to Simon's as his hurricane.