Mar 19, 2009

DELISH Mexican lasagna

{photo from Pioneer Woman}

OMG! I just made this recipe and it is so yummy! I have been trying lots of new recipes lately since my family is tired of the {spaghetti, tacos, hamburgers and chicken} that have become our staples. I just had to share this recipe with you all! I got it here, but I'm going to give you the directions for how I made it. The pioneer woman's makes like 3 casseroles worth and I've broken it down to a 9X13" dish...What's great about this casserole is that nothing has to be exact! Just add a dash of this and pinch of that...here we go!

Ingredients:
1 bag of instant boil white rice (2 cups)
1 can pinto beans
Chicken broth
1 16 oz can of salsa verde
2 tomatoes
1 16 oz can of enchilada sauce
1/2 onion
1 packet of taco seasoning
2 cloves of garlic
sour cream
1 lb. ground beef
cilantro
1 16 oz bag of mexican style cheese
4 medium size flour tortillas
1/2 tablespoon of butter

Start by preparing rice with chicken broth/stock. Chop up tomatoes, onion and garlic and saute in pan with 1/2 tablespoon of butter. Add beans, no need to drain can. Mix cooked rice together with tomato/onion/ garlic mixture. Brown your ground beef. Once it is brown, drain and add 4 oz of water with your taco seasoning packet. Let simmer for 5 minutes.

Get your 9x13 casserole dish out! Spread one jar of salsa verde on the bottom of dish. Take 2 tortillas and cover the salsa verde. Divide rice mixture in half and spread it over the layer of tortillas. Divide cheese in half and layer it on top of rice layer. Add another layer of tortillas. Pour enchilada sauce over the tortillas and spread it out evenly. Add layer of ground beef. Then add the rest of your rice mixture followed by the remaining jar of salsa verde. Last layer is the rest of your cheese with a little cayenne pepper on top.

Bake at 375 for 25-35 minutes until cheese has melted and begins to brown. Mine took 25 minutes. There is an option to add corn to the recipe, but I don't like corn in my food so I omitted this ingredient! Once you dish it out add some chopped up cilantro and sour cream. Enjoy!

If you try this recipe, please leave me a comment and let me know if you like it...a few other recipes that she has that our family LOVES. Whiskey glazed Carrots (you will not be disapointed), Queso, not your granny's mac and cheese.

*Warning: her recipes are not for the dieters out there!*

14 sweet comments:

Meredith said...

Yum! That looks like a recipe that Matt and I would love!!! I'm thinking I could also just split that into 2 smaller dishes and freeze one for later!!! thanks for sharing!

B.E.A.L. said...

that looks yummy...can't wait to try it! thanks for sharing...I love new recipes!

the rodriguez crew said...

Ummmm...YUM!?!? I can't wait to try this!! Thank you for typing it out for us {and breaking it down to a single size}!!

Emily said...

I am so in love with PW's recipes! Can't wait to try these great ones that you suggested!

Holly said...

ooooh looks yummy! i always need new dinner ideas..i hate having to come up with something last minute!

Have you been having problems with Blogger? I entered a new post like a million hours ago and it still hasnt updated...ugh! obviously, blogger must have someting against just my blog...LOL :)

Tiffany said...

Oh, I LOVE new recipes! Thanks Katie!

Jenn Diaz said...

Another great recipe is Paula Dean Taco Soup, google search it. Its so yummy and its a crockpot recipe.....

Anonymous said...

Hi Katie: I met you at Kylie's shower and found your blog through hers. This recipe looks great...I too was going to suggest Taco Soup to you although, I don't use a crock pot. I will be trying this out soon.

Sarah said...

That looks so yummy and is making me hungry for lunch already! Thanks for sharing. I can't wait to try it out...and see more pics of Cutie Cole!!! :)

My Story said...

Hi Katie, I am a friend of Cadenandhismommy {two of my favorite people on this planet} and have 'stalked' your site for a while now, thanks for sharing your stories by the way. I want to see if you are willing to offer some free advice to a stranger about blogging and formatting .... how do you get the vertical line separating the columns & I LOVE the font you chose {it's easy on my often tired eyes.} If you get a free minute, I invite you to visit our sweet sites {and NO JUDGING allowed ;)}: www.kristianandlily.blogspot.com and www.thesweetestdigs.blogspot.com (I believe Trisha let me borrow a background that you'll recognize.) Thank you for the inspiration and if you can find time to extend some advice to a stranger ... just maybe, we won't have to be strangers for long! Warmly, Tanya

Bobbi said...

Mmmmmm....that sounds YUMMY!!!

Amanda said...

I am thinking about trying it. Buuut I was wondering what pinto beans butter is?? Is there such a thing?? or is that pinto beans AND butter?? and if so, how much butter?
how much broth?
oh but then I looked at it again and butter is at the bottom. Oh I'm so confused! and I'm probably just doing it to myself. help?

Greene Family said...

Looks yummy! I'll have to try this one soon - thanks for sharing!

The Lee Family said...

Katie
I found your blog through Nikki, we were soroity sisters in college. I tried you mexican dish and it was great!!! I did "try" to make it a little healthier but still had all the great taste. Thanks for a great swith to our usual meals. Check us out if you like! Kirsten, Atlanta Ga.