Mar 5, 2009

A+ Doctor Report

As most of you already know, Cole had a full two days of doctors! We saw the geneticist, had x-rays of his back, saw the orthopedic doctor, neurologist and neurosurgeon...whew! I'm tired just listing them all! How did he check out?

Geneticist- A+
Cole's 19 month stats:
Height- 30 1/4'"
Weight- 24 lbs. 3 oz
Head- 22 1/4"
She said that he was looking really great and we didn't need to schedule anymore visits with her unless we had any questions. We also asked about having another baby and what our chances of a recurrence are and she said very low. Ok, so one doctor checked off the list!

Orthopedic- A++
Cole had some x-rays on his back a few months back that showed some mild kyphosis which comes along with his condition. When a child with kyphosis starts to walk in theory their back is supposed to straighten out. She said Cole's back is straight as an arrow and looks exactly like it should! Phew! No brace for Cole! Plus, we don't need to see her for another 9 months!

Neurology- A+
This appointment is pretty much a waste of time, meaning our neurologist basically doesn't know much about achondroplasia, but we love going to him because then we can have all of Cole's MRI's done at that hospital for free! Free=such a relief! Cole's 2nd MRI cost us $4000 out of pocket so I'm sure you can see how fortunate we are to have this service. He needs an MRI every 6 months to recheck his hydrocephalus. There wasn't a significant change between the last 2 MRI's that Cole had.

Neurosurgeon- B
This is the doctor that knows so much about Cole's condition. He is very knowledgeable and has treated many achondroplastic patients over the years. He noted that Cole's head is very large {even for achon standards}, but looking at him and seeing how happy, healthy and active he is there is no need at this time to operate. When you plot Cole's head on {HIS} growth chart there has been very little growth over the past 6 months which is a good sign. He wants another MRI done in 6 months and then we will reassess. Cole's next looks great, so no need for any decompression. Overall, he is very happy with where Cole is, but the reason for the B grade is that we aren't out of the woods yet. He thinks we may run into problems when Cole's fontanel closes up, but only time will tell. It's so nice having a doctor so close that takes an active interest in our son. He has been studying achondroplasia and is writing a paper on it this very moment.

What's a post without a picture? So here is my little cutie!

22 sweet comments:

Caden and Mommy said...

Yeah Cole! So glad (and a wee bit jealous :0) ) to hear all of Cole's appointments went well!!!! What a superstar! And thank heaven's for that financial assistance!!! Interesting to hear about what could happen when his fontanel closes, Caden's is still open ~ nice to know what to watch out for!
Trisha

Holly said...

Yay for good news!!!

Cole gets an A++ in the "cute" department in my book ;)

the rodriguez crew said...

AWESOME news!! love hearing that, and i agree, A++ in the cutie dept. I was just looking over our dallas pics, and there are some super cute ones of cole that I'm hoping you have too. if I ever get around to the post, you'll see them. :)

great update!!

Jennifer said...

Great news! Cole is spectacular in every way including cuteness. I agree that he gets an A++ for that too!

The Leonard Four said...

fantastic...we kinda got interupted this morning and didn't really get to chat about the drs. SO glad to hear that he got good reports!

and the cuteness...well, it's off the charts! :)

Jack's Mommy said...

That is wonderful!!! I know how relieved you are to get all those reports! Cole's lucky that he has such a wonderful mama that takes such good care of him!

Emily said...

Great job on your appointments, Cole!

Katie said...

That's great news! It's nice to go to those appts and not need a f/u or referral.
Next time you're in Portland and feel like a girl's getaway we should meet up in Olympia and head to Forks for a Twilight tour! :)

Leann said...

Such great news! Yay for you, Mr. Cole!

B.E.A.L. said...

I am so glad all the appointments went so great AND that they are over! The best part of the whole post it the picture!

tiffany said...

Yay for the fabulous report card!! Great news!!
He's such a handsome lil' guy :-)

Tonya said...

I am so glad his appointments went so well!! GOOD JOB COLE!!

Greene Family said...

Yay for great doctor visits!! Way to go, Cole! He is doing awesome! He is such a cutie - love the photo!

The Lance Family said...

So glad for ALL the good news!! Love that little smile...he is so cute!!

Anthea said...

Hey Katie, my name is Anthea, my daughter Tori has achondroplasia. I keep seeing your name on everyones blog I visit, so I thought I would drop by and check out yours. Cole is absolutely adorable and it is great that his doctors appointments went so well. Nice to 'meet' you.

Tiffany said...

Oh I'm happy for you! That's such a relief to leave those doctors knowing that everything is going well. I was glad to hear that you were asking your doctor about the chances with a second baby...we've been back and forth on that next step.

Melisa said...

Love to hear about such great doctor news! Cole is a cutie.

Aunt Jen said...

Everytime I hear the news I get excited for all of you!!! Man he is growing up so fast. He is turning into such a little man right before my eyes on your blog. I can't wait to see you all again.

Kim said...

He is soooo adorable! And that picture-I just really want to eat him up. Fabulous report card. Preston's fontanel closed sometime late last year and his head growth has not really taken massive jumps-he has maybe grown a 1/2 cent or a cent in about a year. (some hats still fit, some don't but not a huge change). BUt I do stay on top of it more now just to be on the safe side. We probably will not see the geneticist anymore either (did I read that right from you).
Also---I was at PB Kids today-I am so torn between Cole's red chair or the navy with red piping. I am going to make some room changes for Preston later this spring. I'll keep you posted!

Alex said...

Katie I'm so glad to hear that Cole is doing great!!

Becky said...

I seriously JUST downloaded this exact kit about 2 minutes ago and then came to your blog to check out your code and here you have it on there! LOVE IT! I'm definitely going to need some help. Like how did you put a fun icon where your name is at the end of each blog? SO cute. I want to be like you! HA!

Sarah Lary said...

Katie - Thought I might find you through Meredith's blog. It was so fun meeting you and Cole today. When we got in the car, I asked Luke who he played with and he said Cole and Reid ... don't tell his cousin Hudson! Loved meeting someone who also loves Joel!! Isn't The Soup on tonight? ;-) - Sarah Lary