Sep 28, 2009

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!

After reading about Fossil Rim on two different friends’ blogs we decided it was time for a family trip! A spur of the moment last minute kind is always the most fun and biggest adventure! We haven’t been anywhere here in Texas and we have lived here ummm 4 years now! yikes! It was a two hour drive out to Glen Rose and we didn’t know what to expect. Fossil Rim is a nature preserve that you drive through and feed the wild animals.

IMG_0693

This is Cole’s growling face! He was getting prepared to see lots of animals. So just imagine a grrrrrrr and his little hands are the claws! hehe

IMG_0669 Just because I think my handsome hubby is oh so handsome ;)IMG_0671

We stopped for a little picnic lunch inside the car at Sonic and prepared ourselves for a 2 hour drive in “jurassic park.” That is seriously how I felt entering! We paid our tickets and bought our bag of feed. Cole was beyond excited that he got to ride in the front seat of the car the entire time.

IMG_0710IMG_0717

The only thing to compare him to was like a dog that likes to stick their head out the car window! He was loving him some wind in the hair…He immediately took over control of the wheel AND pushed every button known to man on that dashboard. We were probably the only car driving through with their windshield wipers going and hazard lights on at the same time! I think he really thought he was driving…

IMG_0767

IMG_0728

It was awesome having the animals come right up to our window. A few of the animals were quite intimidating. Cole loved throwing the animals food and waving hello to them. When we would drive off he would wave good bye and sometimes blow them a kiss.

IMG_0787

Couldn’t you just eat those chubby little arms?IMG_0773

I mean when else will you have a zebra just come up to your window? These guys were mean to each other!! The flyer said not to feed the zebra out of your hand because they will bite and we did listen! They were kicking each other and biting over who got which car. At one point we had 4 zebra around us and they started fighting so we were outta there! IMG_0836

     IMG_0796

We fondly called these guys the grumpy old goats…don’t really know if they are goats, but they would block the road just like this until you convinced them otherwise to move…meaning how much food would you give them! Smart guys! Like every so often there one would be and they would always be standing just like this. It was so funny after the 4th or 5th one…

IMG_0851

We all had a great time…especially Cole! BUT there were times where you wouldn’t see any animals. It wasn’t a zoo so they weren’t out on display for us. If they felt like being social they would hang out by the road so at times where it was just a drive on a dirt road, Cole got super ansy.

IMG_0852   At the half way point there was a place called Lookout point and they had a cafe and gift shop. We got out to stretch our legs and let Cole run around for a minute.IMG_0807  IMG_0814IMG_0815

The only animal I really wanted to see was the giraffes. My friend had pictures of them sticking their necks through the sunroof to eat out of their hands and I soooo wanted to see them. Well, they had other plans that afternoon and wouldn’t even come near us. I was so disappointed until this happened…

IMG_0868

I dared Brooks to let the crazy looking ostrich eat of of the bag and he did! The funniest part of this picture is what the bag says…look closely…”DO NOT FEED FROM YOUR HAND, BAG OR FEED CUP” ooooops! This bird went to town on the bag. We were ALL histerically laughing because Brooks was sooo freaked out! He didn’t know what to do. The bird put a hold right in the bottom and Brooks had visions of ending up in the ER with hand injuries. Cole couldn’t stop laughing and thought this was beyond funny. Side note: Cole and I had the window up on our side of the car because we DID NOT want that scary bird sticking his long neck in where we were sitting!

IMG_0863

This was right after and he was still in disbelief that he did it! IMG_0875We also saw cheetahs {in a caged area for obvious reasons…we didn’t want to make this a national geographic trip}, and lots of deer, elk and other random animals!

Such a fun day for the Johnson Family!

21 sweet comments:

Leann said...

OK, if I'm ever in your neck of the woods, we're going there! it looks like Cole had so much fun!

The Leonard Four said...

what an awesome day! that place looks so totally cool! i think we definitely need to go and check it out...we've been talking about it for YEARS now! i do believe that you just convinced me! :) ooh and i love a good spur of the moment outing!

Hall Family said...

SO CUTE!!! It looks like Cole had a good time with the animals. I LOVE the photo of him through the side mirror.

The Wymer Clan said...

That place is awesome! I think we might have to rent a car and drive out there when we come to TX for Nationals in a couple years!

Jennjilla said...

That is such a cool place to visit - glad yall had fun! Next stop - Fort Worth!!!! Seriously, the best town in Texas!

the rodriguez crew said...

i was laughing to myself thinking about Brooks with that ostrich!! I can just see it going awry and brooks landing in the hospital with a missing hand, HA!! so glad he narrowly escaped any injuries!!

I am so so jealous of this place, I have seen it on so many blogs by now. So cool! your pictures are phenomenal (so clear!), and cole looks like he's having a BALL! I love me a spontaneous family outing, good call on that one!

Holly said...

OMG this is the funniest post ever! I am dying laughing at the ostrich!! haha!! I love your pictures...all of the animals were so up close! Super cool!!!

Jodi said...

That looks like so much fun! You need to try Sharkarosa Park next time in Pilot Point!!

Alex said...

What a fun day!!! I LOOOOVE the picture of Cole in the mirror!!

B.E.A.L. said...

what fun! sounds like it was a great little family outing!

I was cracking up at Cole in the front seat "driving" and pushing every single button!

My favorite picture is the one of him looking in the side mirror....love it!

DREW'S MOM said...

That looks like SOOO much fun!! Glad you guys had a great time! Wish there was something like that here in Southern California. *Great Pictures too

Sarah said...

SO FUN! I love all of your pics of family fun day. Cole is just too much - love it!

Katie said...

Great pictures!!! Looks like you all had fun and what a perfectly sunny day for your trip too.

Becky said...

this is hilarious!!! Totally makes me want to go with Jorja and Shane - although, I'm not sure Shane would be as eager to get his hand {almost} eaten by a giant ostrich! HA! :) And I LOVE the picture of Cole in the mirror. SO clever to take that shot. It is great! These pics are wonderful!

Melissa Swartley said...

Oh my gosh! I am still laughing about that ostrich! Hilarious! I'm glad you all had such a great time!

Melissa Johnson said...

These pictures are unbelievable! Cole should be a model! Such a cutie!

Dunhams said...

I am definitely sold on needing to go there! So fun! And all of your pics were so great! Cole looks so much like his daddy :)

Mrs. Geyer said...

I can't stop laughing!!! I can hear my brother now!!! We soo want to go there when we come to visit. Is it open year round? Ok seriously, I'm crying I'm still laughing so hard. Thanks Brooks, you always do know how to make me laugh! (Thanks to you too Katie for being such a great storyteller, I feel like I was there!) I miss you guys so much! I can't wait until Thanksgiving!!!

Kim said...

What a fun trip! Brooks is very daring-Ostriches scare the crud out of me. They always look so mean. Very amazing pictures though. I love Cole looking out the window and the one of his little arms sticking out the window. Want to just eat him up! Sorry you did not get to see the giraffes but it seemed like you guys had a great family day!

Greene Family said...

It looks like you guys had so much fun! Awesome pictures - Love the picture of Cole in the mirror! He's so adorable! That's a bummer you didn't get to see the giraffes! Brooks is brave - ostriches scare me! So funny though!
We have a similar place (don't think it has quite as many animals as there) in Virginia that we have been talking about going to for a few years now, and after seeing your photos, we'll have to make sure we go next spring/summer!

Shannon said...

Ok, does Brooks have a single brother living out here in texas :) haha, had to ask!