Sep 7, 2009

“literate” pumpkins

  blog3         blog2  blog1blog4

These little guys were so easy to make! A few weeks back I decided to get a babysitter for the afternoon so I could browse the antique stores without any disruption and I came across the cutest store that had these with a robin’s egg  blue ribbon tied around them {so me}. Of course, they didn’t have the jack-o-lantern face on them. I instantly wanted one, but thought I could totally make one, right!? Well, a few days ago I was browsing the blogs and stumbled across a site that had these! I thought they were adorable with the face on them! I decided to add a twig, leaf and wire to them just to spice them up a bit. After October 31st I’m going to remove the face and tie a ribbon around them and display it with a stack of books. This project was cheap-o! I ran to half price books and picked up a few books on clearance {$2 each}. It doesn’t matter what the book is about since you can’t read the words and you remove the cover. The small book I used was Catcher and the Rye and the bigger book was about some lady I had never heard of. I have one more book to do which is a little bit different of a shape, but my fingers are tired for now. All you do is fold each page in half towards the spine until you don’t have any more pages. Glue the last pages together. You may have to bend the book to get it to make a circle {it was a half circle} before I figured out you just need to work the book in a bit. Then cut out a face and add a few embellishments! Let me know if you decide to make one! I would love to check it out!

12 sweet comments:

Heidi said...

super cute! these would be so fun in an office/library or even as teacher gifts (i'm thinking ahead several years of course! LOL)

Kylie said...

Love them! I have not had a chance to tell you but I love all your new ideas! I can't wait to get all my decorations out to see what I need to order. Are you selling the books? I have a friend that woud LOVE them.

Andrea said...

Seriously. Your craftiness is killing me. I can't wait to make one of these. In fact, I'm gonna have my kids do them, too...they can fold paper! I'll post when I do (and of course link up to you)!!

Thanks for the idea!

Melisa said...

I can't get over how crafty you are. You constantly amaze me and what you make. These turned out very cute!

Jaime said...

I just love seeing all your crafty ideas! These are so cute, might just have to try it out with Caty.

Melissa Swartley said...

Very cute! I love your creativity Katie!

Emily said...

These are so cute! I finally have my new craft/sewing room, so these might be a perfect project to work on! I spend so much time looking at crafty blogs and jotting down ideas...thanks for sharing these!

Chris and Emily said...

too cute!!

Kim said...

You are super crafty. I love seeing all the results. You ever think about teaching classes on these items for fun??? or a little shopping money???

Heidi@TheCraftMonkey said...

folding pages now....LOL

Amanda said...

okay, I've worked and worked the book and still have a half circle! ergh! It's driving me nuts!

Greene Family said...

Very cute! You are so crafty!