Oct 19, 2010

are you aware??

My dear sweet friend, Becky, posted this on her face book page and I wanted to share it with all of the readers of my family blog. I have been struggling with a post the last few weeks on dwarfism awareness and how to approach it. I think she did an amazing job!!

 

The other day Jorja played with her best buddy, Cole! I love watching their relationship. Some days they fight like siblings and other days they are all about the love! :) They truly love to be together even though they are very different in many ways! I believe its their differences that make them fun, unique and such sweet and special friends. I know one day they will eventually see their differences and it will make them appreciate their sweet friendship all the more! Their differences don't keep them apart but bring them closer! Cole is one of the cutest and sweetest kids I know and he always has THE. BIGGEST. grin on his face. He loves life and he adores Jorja and I LOVE that about him. He is all boy! He loves cars, trains, tools and every once in a while likes to play rough and tough! He has the most awesome smile & beautiful chocolate brown eyes!  When I first think to describe Cole I always gravitate to explaining his fun & silly nature & how happy he really is - seriously, the kid can find fun in the most mundane things of life. Cole is a fabulous kid and I feel honored that he is truly Jorja's first and very best friend in life. My prayer for Jorja and Cole is that they will never be separated by their differences but instead would accept & love each other because of their differences!

What you probably don't know about Cole (because it is only secondary to the many other amazing things that can define Cole) is he has Achondroplasia. Achondroplasia is the most common form of dwarfism and affects about 1 in 25,000 people. What I find the most interesting is that in Cole's case (and in about 85% of the other people born with Achondroplasia) he actually has average-size parents and is a result of a completely random and sporadic gene mutation. This means it can happen to ANYONE!

So, since October is Dwarfism Awareness Month, I want to make you all aware of how amazing this little boy really is and to let you know that "a person's a person no mater how small" (Dr. Seuss). I admit, there was a time in my life when I was a lot less sensitive about the subject and in my naivety didn't realize how offensive or hurtful the "terms" I was using could really be! I honestly didn't know any Little People before I met Cole so I had no real "connection" to those I might have joked about or liked watching on TV. But the truth is, I was being dumb, naive and definitely not any example of Christ! And I guess, like most things in life, we can easily justify our actions and behavior because we aren't "connected" or "affected" by those who are different from us simply because we will probably never truly know them. But, shouldn't the fact that they are a PERSON be enough to make us stop and think about what we are saying or how we are behaving towards them?? Why do I have to be "connected" to them at all to care about them? I don't. And you shouldn't either. YOU have the power to be the change you want to see in the world. YOU can make a difference. Maybe you aren't aware that using the term "midget" is offensive. Now that you do, maybe you could try using other terms that are more appropriate such as "Little Person" "Short Stature" or "Dwarf". But, maybe the best thing to do is to realize they have a NAME and are a real person with real feelings and simply want to be recognized as such.

Wouldn't it be great if we lived in a world where people didn't see race, sex, height or weight? If people were just known for who they are on the inside and what was on the outside was just a secondary thought, if even a thought at all? Unfortunately, we live in a fallen world and that is not the case. BUT, by making yourself aware of the differences in others, YOU can be the catalyst that brings about a change in this world. YOU can make a DIFFERENCE by accepting the differences you see in others!

"Dear Friends, since God so loved us, let us LOVE ONE ANOTHER." 1 John 4:11

"Do not consider his appearance or his height... for God does not look at the things man looks at. Man looks at the outward appearance but God looks at the heart." 1 Samuel 16:7

IMG_6839 copy IMG_5890 copy  IMG_9820IMG_1211

Just a few pictures of our babies together over the past few years :)

10 sweet comments:

The Leonard Four said...

WOW...becky did a great job on this post! i have a huge lump in my throat, and couldn't agree with everything she said more!

i think cole and jorja are lucky to have each other! :)

Anonymous said...

Wow! This post just brought me to tears. Jorja and Cole are so adorable together and so blessed to have each other in their life. Also Katie you have a very sweet friend in Becky but I'm sure I didn't have to tell you that. :)

Tonya

Holly said...

Katie you are very blessed to have such a kind hearted, honest, and sweet friend in Becky. She did a beautiful job writing this. And I love all of the flashback pics of the kids! Too adorable for words! xoxo

Andrea said...

Perfect! I hope many, many people are able to read this!

Melissa Swartley said...

This was a fantastic post! So sweet! What a great friend you have Katie! I am loving the pictures too!

the rodriguez crew said...

Very, very, VERY sweet post. You are SO lucky to have a friend like Becky (& Jorja), on your side in this crazy thing called life! Cole is a special little boy for a million reasons, and really you have done a fantastic job getting the message out there on Achondroplasia. Great message!!

Jaime said...

Becky did an incredible job with her post - brought tears to my eyes. What an amazing friend you have!

Marissa said...

beautifully said...I have tears in my eyes too. what a precious gift from God, Cole truly is. And what an incredible friend you have, to write something SO beautiful.

Ware Family said...

Beautiful...

Greene Family said...

Beautiful post!! I love watching Cole and Jorja's relationship, and what a special one they have! You are lucky to have a friend like Becky in your life! Adorable photos of the cuties!