Oct 20, 2010

the most beautiful wings in the world

IMG_8352

Man, this parenting thing is not easy at times. I’ve had a rough last few days dealing with some “achon related” issues. As you know Cole has Achondroplasia, and with that comes a large head. Well, Cole’s head is even larger than most people with Achondroplasia. Hats have never been our thing. To find one that fit was next to impossible so I just never pushed it. Now that Cole is getting older there is nothing he wants more than to wear a fireman hat or a construction hat like his friends. For Halloween I decided that Cole was going to dress up like a super hero! I went on etsy and found the cutest cape with a big C on it…problem was it wouldn’t be here until right before Halloween. I found out that his class party at school was going to be today and there was no way we would have our super hero costume in time. On Monday I ran over to Kohl’s and picked up a buzz light year costume and went to Walmart for Woody. The smallest they came in was a 4 and needless to say they were HUGE on him. He was so excited to try on Woody and when he saw the hat was just over the moon. I thought maybe since it was foam we could stretch it over. Oh no, that hat was not going to fit. Cole just broke down in tears and fell in my lap sobbing. I almost lost it, but held it together. I definitely teared up while hugging my sweet boy. Luckily he moved on pretty quickly. We had Cole’s puppy dog costume from last year that barely still fit, but it would do the trick for school. Cole did not want to be a puppy dog and kept saying “no mama, I no puppy dog,  I super hero!” He obliged me and wore the puppy costume to school. The second we walked into class he just started crying and would not let me go. I told him he didn’t have to wear the costume if he didn’t want to, but he was still so sad. There were two other kids dressed as Buzz and he really wanted to also. His sweet teacher Mrs. Gabby took Cole down to the imagination room to find something else he could wear. We found a fireman jacket and….HAT! Oh no, not that hat again. Of course he got so excited and then was crushed when it wouldn’t fit. We walked back to class with just the jacket on. There were more tears, but I decided I just needed to leave. I lingered in the hallway to keep an eye on him. Mrs. Gabby just held him while he cried. She whispered to me that he wanted to be Buzz. After that I left, I had to take Blake to his doctor appointment and I couldn’t do anything else for Cole. I saw her taking him back down to the imagination room as I was leaving. I was heartbroken for him. I couldn’t stop crying. It was one of those moments as a mom where you wish you could take the hurt away for your child. When I came to pick him up from school you should have seen him! He was wearing Buzz light year wings! Mrs. Gabby took the time to make Cole his very own wings  out of cardboard and tissue paper. He was so proud to be wearing his wings. You should have seen him. Of course I’m sitting there bawling like a baby!! To see someone take the time out to make my little boy happy meant more than anyone could ever know. He even got to take a picture with the other two boys who were dressed up as Buzz. I guess he even wore a white robe with a black belt with the wings so he sort of looked like a cross between a Jedi and buzz {is the text message I got from my friend Becky when she saw him during the day}.

So like I said…these are the MOST beautiful wings I have ever seen. We are so lucky to have two amazing teachers for Cole this year. They truly love him and have his best interest at heart.

IMG_8346After school Cole enjoyed a yummy snack and then headed off for a nap..with his buzz light year in wings in tow…He is one happy boy.IMG_8342  IMG_8338

24 sweet comments:

Summer, Justin, Blake, and Sutton said...

Ok. I definitely teared up reading this. What an amazing teacher ... for an amazing little boy!

Jodi said...

That teacher is my hero. What an absolutely amazing person. How lucky you are to have her, and she is to have you!

Jaime said...

What Cole's teacher did is so touching - brought tears to my eyes. You and Cole are so very lucky to have her.

Drew's Mom said...

In tears over here! =( Those are definitely the sweetest wings I've ever seen.. and you guys are so lucky to have such sweet teachers.

Candice said...

Oh, Katie, what an absolute gift you have in this teacher. Unbelievable that someone would care so much and take the time to make a sweet boy happy. I love this!

Meredith said...

I'm so sorry you had to go through that heartbreak this morning! You had on a brave face though when I saw you, I would have never guessed something was bothering you. What a special teacher! I'm sure Cole's life will be filled with special people who will help build him up when he gets down, and you are such a positive person that I'm sure you will always be able to brighten Cole's day!

Jennifer said...

Oh my gosh, I am in tears too! That is one special teacher. She definately is a gift!

Andrea Foster said...

Katie, you are the best mom. Although I've had pity parties for what Madison has went through with her heart, I can hardly imagine the heartbreak you felt for something you couldn't fix. Sending lots of love to you all and am so glad to hear about his teacher. Those are the teachers that make a difference in the world and I'm glad to know that they still exist.

Sarah said...

ahh, I teared up too!! What an amazing teacher he has (with great creativity)and what an awesome mom Cole has to care so much. You're doing great Katie. Some days are just hard and will be, but you are doing great and we can tell he's so loved by all!!

The Browns said...

What a hard but AMAZING day! He is lucky to have a teacher like her who truly cares for her students and Cole!

Marissa said...

I am sobbing
...you are SO blessed having all of these strong, beautiful people around you and your precious family :)

The Leonard Four said...

whoa...i can barely see right now. i'm so sorry that you and cole have had a tough week. but what a blessing to have such a superstar teacher in his life! i think those wings totally rock! :)

Lara said...

Amazing post. You are stronger than most Katie J.

Poefam said...

WOW! This made my heart so happy...Even though I can imagine that this was horrible on a Momma, it just proves to me that we are so blessed to be a part of a school that loves our boys!!! What a precious story!

caycee said...

Aww sweet Cole, this made me tear up too! I am so happy she made him wings, what a wonderful teacher!

kinsey said...

tears streaming down my face. sweet boy. and if my heart hurts for him in this situation then i can't imagine what yours felt/feels like. what a wonderful teacher to help make it all better :-)

Holly said...

Lots of tears over here. It's such a bittersweet story. It breaks my heart to hear about his struggles but it warms my heart to hear how Cole can rise above them. That teacher is blessed to have Cole as a student just as much as he is blessed to have her. Thank you for sharing. XOXO.

Melissa Swartley said...

Tears here!!! I know exactly how much it hurts to see how things like this for our kids sometimes go. We are always butchering Sonya's clothes to fit over top of casts. I know it's coming with the hats too as we are having trouble getting anything over her head these days. I am so happy that Cole has some INCREDIBLE teachers who took the time to make super wings for Cole! How awesome! I think I cried even more when I read that! :)

TOLIVER FAMILY said...

tears from start to finish...

thank God for special teachers
a special mom
and a special child!

sarah @ life {sweet} life said...

oh katie, i am in tears. what an amazing teacher!! cole is just a doll. love that picture!

Alex said...

tears here too...It is heartbreaking to see our kids having to face these challenges. I always get sad seeing Anaïs unable to keep up with kids her age on the playgroup and ends up alone because other two year olds have no interest in her. :(

Sarah said...

You are such a blessed mama to have such a sensitive and beautiful child as your son! And how blessed is he to have you and his teachers in his life. I love his wings...and his sweet smile!!

Greene Family said...

Katie - I'm in tears! Those are the most beautiful wings, and I'm so happy that Cole has such awesome and loving teachers this year!! You all are surrounded by so many loving people that want the best for your sweet Cole!

Christine said...

I am crying reading this. Your son is lucky to have such an amazing teacher!