Oct 7, 2010

Spooky decor!

  Yesterday, while Cole was at school Blake and I decided to browse the cute little shops in an old downtown near our home. They have antique stores and the sweetest little boutiques!! Well, with boutiques come boutique prices…yikes!! I fell in love with this adorable banner that spelled out MAGIC. When I saw the price tag I nearly fell over! You want $125 for some glitter on chipboard?? Yes, they were charging $25 per letter! So instead I decided to make my own :) I decided to go with the word MAGIC, but I think SPELL would be super cute too!IMG_6893IMG_6888I used some german glass glitter {but any glitter will do}. I LOVE german glass glitter because it will patina over time!! My other favorite glitter is made by martha stewart. I used my cricut to cut out some large letters on chip board. I did 9” letters, but I think for my next banner I will make them 12 inches. I used simple elmers glue and a sponge brush to put a thin coat and then I glittered it. Let it dry and then punch some holes and string your ribbon through! Whala! You just made a $125 banner for just a few dollars! I can’t wait to make one for Christmas and I have plans to make some cute ornaments for my tree!IMG_6952 I have some giant spiders climbing up my walls in my entry way!IMG_6904  One of my favorite things to decorate with are white pumpkins. They can also be used in November! Oh, and the cheap-o dollar store crows are the BEST! I have them everywhere!IMG_6909 I hosted my very first craft night this week and we made paper pumpkins! How sweet are they? On my dining room table I have three apothocary jars that spell out B-O-O and for Christmas they spell out J-O-Y!IIMG_6918 I made this cute pumpkin topiary this year! I bought some craft pumpkins on sale at Michaels and glazed them to give them a more realistic effect. I just super glued them together and tied on some cute ribbon! The urn was purchased at Target.IMG_6922 I found the sweetest project on a blog and decided to make them for my “boo baskets” this year and one for myself. I just bought some dollar store frames, scrapbook paper and glittered some wood letters from Hobby Lobby! They were a hit in my neighborhood for the lucky two that got boo’d by me!IMG_6924 I made the burlap banner last year and added a scary spider!IMG_6929 IMG_6931 IMG_6946 I’m pretty much obsessed with glitter! A little glitter is fun, but a lot of glitter is super fun!!

16 sweet comments:

jenn said...

Yeah! You and Heidi are so inspiring! I've needed someone to get my creative juices flowing!

Tiffany said...

Oh you're amazing! I'm dying to find the right bird cage for our house...yours looks great and I love your MAGIC banner. Super cute!

sarah @ life {sweet} life said...

Katie!! You are soooo creative!! My head is spinning from all the decor you shared...I want to try them all!! I'm definitely doing the apothecary jar idea...l-o-v-e it! What did you use to prop the letters up in the jar? It looks like they're in a little stand. Also going to make the banner...is that font from the storybook cartridge? Martha glitter is my current favorite...hadn't heard of the other you mentioned but will check it out! Can you sense my excitement here?! Haha! Wish we lived closer...I'd love to come to craft night! :) Okay sorry for the rambling, but thanks for sharing! :)

sarah @ life {sweet} life said...

On more thing! Have you seen this candy jar? Such a cute idea...going to make one of these too! http://iheartnaptime.blogspot.com/2010/10/halloween-candy-jar.html

Leong Family's said...

Oh, I love your deco so much. They all look so beautiful & cute.

Marissa said...

I L-O-V-E how you decorate and those paper pumpkins are PRECIOUS! Happy Fall!

Kylie said...

I am lovin the new banner...it's screaming CRAFT NIGHT! I say we go ahead and plan some Christmas crafts for the last few weeks in October and thru Nov. so by Dec 1st we are all decked and ready to go. We can do banners, letters & our wreaths...look 3 weeks already planned. Great Job...the spooky decor looks great!

Kylie said...

I am lovin the new banner...it's screaming CRAFT NIGHT! I say we go ahead and plan some Christmas crafts for the last few weeks in October and thru Nov. so by Dec 1st we are all decked and ready to go. We can do banners, letters & our wreaths...look 3 weeks already planned. Great Job...the spooky decor looks great!

Melissa Swartley said...

Love all your Halloween decor and how crafty you are! $125 for chipboard letters in glitter is outrageous! I love creating look a likes for a few bucks! Cheap and very chic! Thanks for sharing your cute ideas! By the way, catching up here in blogland... I LOVE your photography!!! The picture of Blake is just sooo precious!!!

Summer, Justin, Blake, and Sutton said...

Will you be selling banners like the MAGIC one?? I want one for Christmas! Adorable!

Hall Family said...

Ok, you are really putting me to shame! You are so creative! I'll probably be stealing some of these ideas next year. Your boys are adorable too!

Katie said...

Katie-
I love your Halloween decor! So inspiring!! I got looking through some of your old posts and fell in love with your baby bedding. Would you mind telling me where you got it?

~Katie :)

Katie said...

Thanks for the info on the bedding, Katie! I may have to look into having my mother in law custom make some for us when the time comes. I'm not pregnant yet, nothing like planning ahead! :) I like to be prepared! Both boy's rooms look amazing though, you have such an eye for design!

Kim said...

You are the super cutest! I love all of the decor! You are so amazing. I'd be the loser forking over 125 bucks for something. But goes to show that you can sell it for those prices. You are so talented. I love it! Also in love with the latest picture of Blake in the post below!

-Krystal- said...

OMG your decor is too cute! You decorating reminds me so much of my house! I have that same grey birdhouse, but mine is round instead of square. Very Very creative, and I LOVE all the crows!! You make me want to go to michaels =) lol

Greene Family said...

Love all of your Halloween decor! I would have fallen over . . . $125 for chipboard banner! Geez! Your magic banner and paper pumpkins are adorable! You are so talented! Thanks for sharing!