Jan 17, 2011

these city folk head to the “wilderness”

Last Friday night, Brooks came up with the idea to pack the boys up and head to Arbuckle Wilderness up in Oklahoma! It’s about a two hour drive from us in Dallas so we made sure to have some toys for Blake and a movie for Cole. We drove through McDonalds and picked up some breakfast on the go. Cole was a happy boy…toy story to watch and pancakes to eat! We are so lucky to have two boys that are great travelers!IMG_6733IMG_6742When we got there it was time to take our seatbelts off and let the boys ride up front with us! Since you only drive 5 miles an hour it’s pretty safe. IMG_6751IMG_6758The animals would stop right in the middle of the road! I was afraid we were going to run of them right over, but eventually they would move…for food!IMG_6765IMG_6767I kept urging Cole to feed one of the animals and this is him saying “no mama, YOU feed the ‘aminal’!”IMG_6787Both boys loved driving the car, but Blake spent more time in my lap since he was a little more wiggly than Cole and it was easier for Brooks to drive.IMG_6796Meet our friend the camel! A camel in Oklahoma? Ok! I’ve never seen a camel this close up and we were so excited! I kind of forced Brooks to feed him. At first he had his cup and was  throwing the food at him, but then he got a little brave and fed him from his hand.IMG_6797IMG_6798Out of no where this camel spots a better opportunity for food! In the cup holders there were two big cups filled with food and Mr. camel here decided he would just help himself.IMG_6801We were screaming at this point..well all of us except our calm little boy. Cole had pretty much jumped over the seat and was hiding in the back.IMG_6802Brooks even tried to save the cup of food, but figured you better give this big guy what he wants, especially when you are holding our baby in your arms. We about died!! Did this camel really just high jack our car for a cup of food? Something tells me he’s done this before and he’ll do it again. After this we decided we weren’t really fans of camels and we kept our windows up!IMG_6803 IMG_6782Ahhh, a zebra! They can’t get into our car. We stuck with smaller animals. There were even donkeys here, but they were more interested in licking the dirt on our car!IMG_6816I loved the giraffes too! They were behind gates to prevent them from coming in all sides of your car. I decided he was safe to eat from my hand. Notice the ostrich trying to get in on the action. I’m really not a fan of these guys so I quickly rolled my window up and we kept moving!!IMG_6836IMG_6842We had a BLAST as a family!! Cole is our cautious child so he was just fine not feeding the animals, but he loved sticking his head out the window and driving without a seatbelt on!IMG_6860Our of all the animals that day the llama’s were our FAVORITE!! They were so gentle and polite. They patiently waited for you to offer them food and then just nibbled it out of your hand. No slobber, no teeth.IMG_6863

8 sweet comments:

Hunter, Amanda, Hudson and Maddie said...

that is so awesome!!! i love this...looks like such a fun time!! your family is precious!

Heidi@TheCraftMonkey said...

too funny! I love that you were still taking pictures while your family was being attacked by a camel! :)

Kylie said...

This looks like so much fun. I love the facial expressions.

TOLIVER FAMILY said...

oh how fun! love these! i would have been with cole! :)

Katie said...

That looks so fun! I wish we had something like that around here! The picture you took of Cole where there is a bag in the background..is that a diaper bag? If so, it's way cute, where'd you find it??

Ever Changing said...

I absolutely LOVE all the various reactions to the camel!!! Blake looks so calm in all of the photos, but still cute! Looks like you guys had a blast there!!!

Greene Family said...

What a fun family adventure! Great pictures!! I can't believe how calm Blake is in that picture of the camel high jacking your car! It looks like you all had a blast!

Bethany said...

I sort of took a blog reading break, but now that I'm back I realized how much I love your family! I dunno, somehow I just feel connected to you guys ... I think we are a lot alike!! :)

We went to a safari park like this here in VA and these pictures remind me so much of that day ... it was sooo fun!