Aug 26, 2011

the SCARIEST moment of my life.

Brooks and I have been through some tough things in our “parent lives,” but last night takes the cake. Blake gave us the biggest scare. He was running a fever ALL day and the highest I measured was 102.6. He’s also getting his top two teeth so we chalked it up to teething since the only other symptom he had was a runny nose. We dosed him with Tylenol all day, but nothing was bringing it down. Plus, he just wasn’t himself…totally clingy and sleepy all day. I even gave my pediatricians’ office a call to double check if I needed to bring him in. Unfortunately, she wasn’t there so we decided to wait until the morning to take him in to the office.

I debated going to a friend’s gender reveal party because I hated to leave my baby sick, but Brooks could handle it and bedtime was right around the corner. I got home around 9 and was told it was a typical night and everybody was asleep. I changed, washed my face and sat down to check facebook, pinterest emails. Around 10 Blake woke up and I went upstairs to rock him. He fell right back to sleep and I noticed he still had his fever, but the moment I laid him back down he was crying again. Not uncommon for Blake to have to cry it out for a little bit. For the next 30 minutes he fussed on and off and I finally sent Brooks up to check on him at 10:30 as we were going to bed. He returned with a lifeless Blake in his arms twitching. I immediately called 911 and Brooks stripped him down and got a cold washcloth to try and cool him off. We had a feeling he was having a seizure, but didn’t know for sure until later. For what seemed like an eternity we tried our hardest to keep him alert and get him to focus on us, but he was just not there. The 911 dispatcher had me on the phone and I continued to check his breathing and running outside to see if the paramedics were there. FINALLY the seizure stopped, but his eyes were rolled back and he wasn’t moving. Brooks laid next to him talking to him and watching his breathing. Once we heard the sirens I felt some relief. A fire truck, ambulance and police car all showed up and put me on a gurney and Blake in my arms. They got all of his information and told us he probably had a febrile seizure, but they needed to take him to the hospital. I rode in the ambulance with Blake {in my pink polka dot pajama pants and a lovely XL black shirt that was Brooks} Luckily I had time to throw a bra on.

Brooks called my neighbor Amanda to see if she could come watch Cole, who was still sound asleep upstairs, but she didn’t answer so he called Kylie next. He got ahold of her as Amanda was calling him back. They BOTH showed up to stay at the house with Cole so that Brooks could join me. How awesome is it to have friends like that? We don’t have family here in Texas, so they are the next best thing! Thanks girls!!

As soon as we got to the ER Brooks was there walking in behind us. They were getting all of his vitals and doing a blood draw when he finally woke up and started crying. It was the BEST sound ever! They did blood, urine, stool and a chest xray to rule out an bacterial infection causing the fever. They are treating it as a viral bug, which means nothing you can do but wait it out. He got some IV fluids and a precautionary antibiotic just in case. His rectal temp was 104 and we were told it was most likely a febrile seizure caused by a sudden spike in body temperature. It’s very common in kids his age and they are most likely a one time deal. We were home around 2 am. On the drive home Brooks looked at me and said “Blake is sleeping with us tonight!!” I couldn’t agree more. As soon as we laid him in our bed he was out and snuggled right into me. I just laid there crying staring at him for I don’t know how long. Thanking everything that he was just fine.

In the moment of not knowing what was happening to my baby, my mind just automatically went to the worst possible place. The panick I felt was like nothing I’ve experienced. I thought I was losing my baby. Thank goodness for 911. Now we know what to look for and how it works, but lets hope we will never have to experience it EVER again!! Thank you to ALL of the text messages, fb comments and calls! It means so much to have so many people concerned about our little boy.

18 sweet comments:

Dunhams said...

How terrifying, Katie! I'm so glad he's ok. Prayers that he'll get feeling better and that you'll never have that happen again!

The Rodriguez Crew said...

I seriously almost threw up while reading that, it is our worst fear as parents. I am so so so so grateful that he cried and snuggled and slept in your bed last night. I'm sure it will be the only one EVER. Please God. So glad that's over for you!!

Holly said...

Oh my gosh, this gives me chills! What an awful feeling and moment for you to go through. Thank goodness that Blake is ok. I have been thinking of you guys all day. Lots of love!

Faith said...

omigosh katie! this seriously made me cry!!! that is so so scary! so glad he's okay! hope he gets better SOON! and hope you all get some much needed rest!!!! hugs to all of you guys!!!

Meredith Woodruff said...

So scary:(! Glad he is okay!!!

The Rouse Family said...

How scary Katie. I can't even imagine how scared you must have been. Glad he is ok.

Brandi said...

Your poor baby boy!!! SOOOOO glad he's ok! Poor momma too, I would have been freaking out! Thank GOD!!!!!!!

Tiffany said...

I CANNOT even imagine!! Thank God he's doing well!! xoxo

Laurie said...

I'am so glad he is okay! Reading this made me cry, I can't imagine what you went through.

The Leonard Four said...

OH MY GOSH KATIE...my eyes are filled with tears and i'm sick to my stomach! i'm so glad that blake is alright and i can only imagine how terrified you and brooks were! hope you all got some snuggly rest today! SO GLAD that he's okay!

Jennifer said...

Wow. So glad Blake is OK. Terrifying. Sending continued love amd prayers.

Lyla Our Little Miracle said...

Thank god everything is alright! Hope Blake feels better real soon! Xoxo

Anne said...

The exact same thing happened when my youngest daughter was one!It was caused by sudden high temp.Very scary!!Hope your son well now.
~Anne

Julie said...

Oh my gosh, I had no idea! That has to be the scariest thing ever. I'm so sorry. Glad to hear that he's doing better.

Marissa said...

oh my goodness, SO Scary. Thankfully everything is alright and God was watching over you and your family...

my gosh, I have goosebumps, you poor thing.

Emily said...

So glad to hear that Blake is okay! It must have been terrifying! Hope he is continuing to do well.

Anonymous said...

I've followed your blog for a while-a friend had a link to it and your boys are just adorable (and I love all your craftiness-I aspire to be crafty!) :) I have a 4 year old, Aubrey, and an 18 month old son, Jordan. Both have had febrile seizures and you're right-they are the scariest thing EVER. Aubrey had her 1st one when she was 14 months old and a 2nd one when she was 2. Jordan had 2 (in the same night-one at home and one in the ER) when he was 13 months old. I'm an ICU nurse and it was still terrifying for me. My husband was the calm one. I was the crazy one that called 911 back screaming because no one was there yet only to be told we had called less than 1 minute before-it felt like hours. So sorry you went through that! I'll be praying Blake doesn't have any more! We've learned to be REALLY aggressive with fevers. I used to be of the mindset of just letting a fever ride it's way out but now, we medicate for any temp and use cooling measures. Hugs to you!

Megan from CA

Kim said...

Oh Katie-that must have been horrific. I recall when Pres held his breath until he passed out. It was momentary and felt like I lifetime, so I can imagine the panic you and Brooks must have felt. I really hope this is a one shot deal and you never experience that again. Hugs to you guys!